Removing the catalytic converter on a SLC VR6 results in a sharper exhaust note and better flow. Horsepower gains of 3-5hp can be had in the upper RPM ranges while low end torque is not sacrificed. Our test pipes are CNC mandrel bent and TIG welded for a perfect fit every time. A simple mod with instant results.
Our SLC VR6 test pipes are available reduced to fit the stock sleeve clamp, or 2.5" through to fit 2.5" cat-backs. A fresh OEM gasket & replacement hardware is included with every pipe.
Let's face it, removing the cat isn't going to be like a shot of nitrous. However, we find this modification to be very worthwhile. Years ago we did a back to back dyno test and found peak gains of 5whp and 6wtq on a normally modified all-motor VR6. Those numbers are certainly worthwhile in a detailed all-motor build. Even larger power gains can be had on supercharged or turbocharged car. Of course, individual power gains depend on the condition of the catalytic converter removed, the exhaust system used, and the condition of the motor. We wouldn't build them if they didn't work.
The resulting sound of a test pipe also depends on the exhaust system used. Overall, adding a test pipe increases the volume of the exhaust note while also providing a much sharper sound. For example, when using a Magnaflow 2.25" cat-back exhaust system the volume of the exhaust note increases some at idle and cruising while becoming significantly louder at higher RPMs. Idle and low-load cruising attract little additional attention to the vehicle. High-revs and aggressive driving are obviously louder activities. Inside the car all low rpm 'drone' disappears. The exhaust note can be heard, but does not drown out the radio or conversation.
This Test Pipe Fits 1992-1995 VW Corrado SLC VR6
- Fits exactly like the stock catalytic converter
- No cutting or custom fitment required
- Oxygen sensor bung location suits every vehicle without modification of heatsheilds or sensor wiring
- OBD1/OBD2 One Size Fits All
- Grade 5 locking hardware and OEM gasket included
- Available reduced to fit stock band clamp or 2.5"
- This product is intended for OFF-ROAD racing use only.
- Emissions laws vary by state. Check local and federal laws before modifying your exhaust system.
- Emissions compliance is the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
- This modification may cause 'catalyst below efficiency' fault code and Check Engine Light (CEL) / Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate.
Fitment Details - 2.5" Through
2.5" test pipes fit exactly like the original but lack the reduction to stock band clamp size. This allows for a straight-through fitment when using 2.5" exhaust. Our 2.5" through test pipes terminate at the center of the stock band clamp. Many 2.5" cat-back exhaust systems for the SLC VR6 have a built in reduction to the stock band clamp size. In this case, the cat-back exhaust system will need to be modified. The reduction will need to be removed, a 2.5" section of pipe added and a 2.5" band clamp added. Many cat-back exhaust systems begin at the center of the stock band clamp as 2.5". In this case no modification is required and a band clamp should be used. Due to the variances in aftermarket cat-back designs we cannot guarantee a 100% bolt-on 2.5" through test pipe for any or all aftermarket exhaust systems.